So why use Soy Wax?
Candle making dates back to as early as 500 BC when the Romans were making candles from tallow - a rendered form of beef or mutton fat. Around 221 BC there is evidence that the Chinese were making candles from whale fat!! Imagine how they must have smelled?? As we all know in more recent years candles have traditionally been made from paraffin wax.
I am and have always been a lover of candles. Fortunately I have never burned a tallow candle, but I have burned plenty of paraffin wax candles over the years.
So, about 3 years ago, when a friend invited me to a candle party, despite not being a fan of these events where you feel duty bound to buy, I went along. The presenter was very knowledgeable about her product - Soy Wax Candles. I learned a lot and I vowed never to buy a paraffin wax candle again. So why buy soy wax over paraffin?
Benefits of Soy over Paraffin.
1. Derived from the Soybean, Soy Wax is completely natural making it better both for the environment and your health. This makes it a much better alternative to paraffin wax which is made from petroleum oil that produces harmful by-products (toxic benzene and toluene chemicals which are known carcinogens) when burned or melted.
2. Soy Wax Candles produce what is called a clean burn. By following some very simple instructions (at the bottom) your Soy Wax Candles will burn without any black soot residue or sink holes with wax clinging on like toffee to the side of the container.
3. Soy Wax is cheaper. Due to the chemical composition of soy wax, it burns evenly so can last up to 50 percent longer. This makes Soy Wax Candles more cost-effective in the long run.
4. Soy Wax has a lower melting point than paraffin wax. This means less risk of burns should you accidentally spill any melted wax on your skin.
5. Soy Wax Candles in glass jars look utterly gorgeous. After a couple of hours when the wax has melted, the effect of the lit flame reflected in the wax pool is beautiful.
You may already be a convert, but if you haven’t had the chance to try burning soy wax candles instead of traditional paraffin wax why not give it a go? It will be better for you, and the environment. It will be much more cost effective in the long run, and they look really pretty.
For a Clean Burn:
Burn for at least 2 hours and let the wax pool right across the top of the candle on the first burn.
Make sure the wax has set and then trim the wick to approx 5mm -1cm before relighting. Do this each time.
Make sure there are no wick particles sitting on top of the wax before lighting.
*Note - We us Kerasoy Wax which is sourced from purely ethical and non-genetically modified sources. A full supply chain audit has been carried out and they focus on sourcing from ethical suppliers that do not contribute to de-forestation.